-
July 3rd, 2003, 03:45 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I have a friend who recently purchased a cabin which he will be living in on a full-time basis.
He currently has no power installed in the building, however he has purchased a 12kW generator(240V) and a 2500 watt inverter and batteries. I will be helping him put this system together but I need a little guidance on how it should be done to stay in the legalities of the CEC.
Should the genny run his larger loads, for example his dishwasher, microwave, fridge, etc? Which loads should the inverter power up? Seeing that the inverter is only 2500 watts, how do you use the 12-devices on a circuit rule? Also, how should the kitchen split plugs be done? I believe the inverter system is 120 V only.
Would you suggest a separate distribution panel for both the genny and the inverter?
Looking forward to any insight you may have.
Thanks
-
July 6th, 2003, 03:53 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Hello N.O.
I am wondering if you have to strictly adhere to the CEC as you would not be connected to any supply authority. In your situation it doesn't seem practical to use up four separate circuits for kitchen counter receptacles.I would contact
a electrical inspector to find out how the CEC applies to your situation.
Would the Gen.set be running 24/7? Could your friend use propane lights, fridge etcetera to help cut down on the electrical loads?
In regards to the distribution panel: How about one distribution panel supplied by the Generator and a Generator Panel (e.g. Square D QO4-8M30DS-GP or QO4-8M60DS-GP) for the invertor and critical circuits?
This way all devices would be powered by the Genny when it is running and the critical loads could be switched to the inverter when the Genny is shut down.
Hope this helps, Good luck
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks